Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Irony of Perception

The Nurses law was to kill the black babies at birth by sticking a pin in its head or feed it to some wild beast. We’ve ceen how the ego can be a wild beast, in addition perception is an unruly creature as well. Peep game:
Neka-
I grew up with a sister 3 years my senior. She was always more of a rebel against house rules, while I was the good student, never got int TOO much trouble kid. My sister was a runaway at 13, smoking tea bags, suspended every week, hooky school-get into a fight-get locked up kinda gal. Throughout my life it seemed like even though I was the stay out of trouble type, I would ALWAYS get in trouble. Which was crazy, because I figured doing what I was told and keeping good grades would afford me a certain degree of freedom rightfully earned (WRONG!WRONG! :see Charlie Murphy).While my sister living the “Life of an Outlaw” and only gets a slap on the wrist. After a bit, I was convinced that my people had it out for me and there was no wining until I could get out on my own. Not until recently did I get to talk to my sister and find out that SHE always felt like my mother held favoritism for ME(ain’t that some sh*t?), while she was being outcast because she could not be more like me. I was taken a back, to say the least.
Qwan-
I have a brother 14 years my junior. I practically raised him up until he was about 6 years old. I had him freestyling at the age of 3 (he didn’t have much of a vocab, but to understand the premise of flowing off top at 3 is ill in and of itself). At the age of like 7-8 my Mom moved out of the city into the suburb of Hatfield, PA. She successfully escaped the harsh realities of urban life and was providing something different for my little brother. A couple of years after that, my Ol Dad and Mom get remarried. As my brother becomes a tween he’s exhibiting some very weenie-like behavior, seeking acceptance, getting in trouble in school for dumb stuff. So, my sister and I give him a talking to, explaining how he’s in a better position then we both were by just being in a two parent home as well as in a drug and abuse free environment. He says he understands and does what he can to improve. Me and Neka continued among ourselves trying to mentally register how this kid never gets beatings or real punishments, gets new clothes all the time and is acting like an ungrateful brat by behaving in this fashion. Time goes by and I realize that He may not be the lucky one at all, as my Dad and Mom are both past the 50 year mark and do not have the wherewithal do deal with a teenage boy in these days and times. They’re doing as much as they can considering, however there were certain life lessons he did not acquire. One, because while under my tutelage Mom’s wouldn’t allow me to discipline him (She hit me with the “he ain’t your son”), but now when he’s talking crazy she don’t understand why. She should’ve let me nip it in the bud, now it’s too late. Two, because she is not a good guide, her method was always to shelter in the hopes of you never finding out the wiser, instead of informing and preparing us to make the best decisions. The “shelter” method DOES NOT work well when building men. In retrospect, I cee how living among scarcity, drugs and abuse as a child actually aided me in not continuing that behavioral cycle, while my brother having been exposed to all of the opportunity and resources I never had has actually fostered an abusive nature in him. The Irony of Perception..

No comments: